Ganduje: Discussions ongoing to resolve dispute with Sanusi
Abdullahi Ganduje, governor of Kano state, says discussions are ongoing to resolve the crisis between him and Muhammadu Sanusi, emir of Kano.
Source: The Cable Newspaper
He disclosed this while briefing state house correspondents after meeting President Muhammadu on Tuesday.
He said his meeting with the president was about the security situation in the state and to also highlight the importance of community policing.
Sanusi and Ganduje fell out after the March governorship election. The monarch was said to have worked against the governor’s reelection, forcing Ganduje to go after him.
The Kano emirate was split into five, making Sanusi to lose control of 34 of 44 local government areas of the state.
The anti-graft commission in the state also resumed the probe of alleged financial misappropriation under Sanusi’s watch and indicted him over the mismanagement of N3.4 billion between 2014 and 2017.
Based on the allegation, the office of the secretary to the state government (SSG) had issued a query to Sanusi on behalf of Ganduje, and recommended his suspension.
The emir already responded to the query, saying that what was in the account of the emirate when he was appointed was N1.8 billion.
Efforts to reach a reconciliation between the duo have been made by prominent Nigerians including Aliko Dangote, Nigeria’s business tycoon.
However, last week, the commission said the probe is ongoing, saying it “shall not be subjected to the direction and control of any authority.”