UPDATED: My Residence Not Burnt – Kukah
Father Matthew Kukah, Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, has described as false, the reports that an angry mob burnt down his Sokoto residence on...
- Sokoto: Tension As Protesters Demand Release Of Suspects Who Killed Student Over ‘Blasphemy’
- 2023: Igbo Can’t Be Trusted With Presidency , Say Northern Groups
The police had arrested two persons in connection with the incident. But on Saturday, protesters trooped to the streets to demand their immediate release.
As the protest was spiraling out of control, Governor Aminu Tambuwal declared a 24-hour curfew.
However, many social media posts said Christians had been attacked while churches had been burnt down.
There were also rumours that Kukah’s residence had been set on fire.
But in a statement signed by Reverent Father Christopher A. Omotasho, Director of the Directorate of Social Communication of the Diocese, said “contrary to information in circulation, we wish to disclaim that there was an attack of any sort on the residence of Bishop Matthew Hassan Kukah.”
“No person has the right to take the law in his or her own hands in this country. Violence has and never will solve any problem,” Buhari had said.
He also directed the Ministries of Information and Culture, Police Affairs, Communications and Digital Economy to collaborate with GSM providers and Tech companies in order to contain the spread of false and inflammatory information through social media.
He also commended the immediate response to the incident by the Sokoto State Government, and urged religious and community leaders to call citizens’ attention to the need to exercise the right to freedom of speech responsibly.
Tambuwal had earlier met with both Christian and Muslim religious leaders and appealed to them to douse tension.