ADVICE FROM A SWORD SAINT
Miyamoto Musashi, the renowned Kinsei (Sword Saint) of Japan had this to say about the principles of the Way of the Scholar/Warrior
1. Do not harbor sinister designs. Think honestly and truthfully.
2. The Way is in training. One must continue to train.
3. Cultivate a wide range of interests in the ten skills and ten arts. Then one can definitely find the benefits of hyoho (sword fencing/military strategy/ the art of peace and proper government) and develop oneself.
4. Be knowledgeable in a variety of occupations and learn the thinking of people who work them.
5. Know the difference between loss and gain in worldly matters.
6. Nurture the ability to perceive truth in all matters. It is important to build up an intuitive judgment and understand true values.
7. Be aware of those things which cannot be easily seen with the eye. Develop intuitive judgment and a mind that freely controls one’s body.
8. Do not be negligent but pay attention even to the smallest details. Keep them in mind all the time, so as to avoid unexpected failure.
9. Do not engage in useless activity. Do not argue about useless things, Concentrate on your duties.
By Hei Xaunfeng